Saturday, February 3, 2007

Flames Vs Blue Jackets

We went to last night's game, Flames vs Blue Jackets, and well the result was predictable (6-2 Flames) the amount of powerplays was quite disappointing. 8 goals 6 of them power play goals. I just want to see some 5 on 5 hockey end to end action with little distractions. Granted some of the penalties are actual penalties like fighting and tripping, but these "phantom" interference calls the refs love to call is pretty annoying to me. To me watching a team spend most of the game in the opposing team's end on power plays is boring. It is just innevitable that a goal is coming soon, especially with teams with a good power play like the Flames.
Now anyway, I still like to watch hockey, and even though I am not a true Flames fan I will support the team and come out to watch games when I can. But the reffing is truely utterly brutal in the league nowadays and the fans who like the way the game is played today to me are not hockey purists. They think their team is awesome when all they have is a powerplay. I mean some teams have top ranked powerplays but have a "-" rating on 5 on 5 play. What's that tell you? To me it means some teams wait til there is a penalty to play well and in the meantime just dump and chase! And what will they (the fans) do when overtime is decided by shootouts in the playoffs? It's going to happen eventually.

No comments: