Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Finally We've come Back to Seattle Day 2


After a fun interesting night in the bar last night (Meeker Street Bar and Grill) with some very addicted Nitro Methane maniacs (I thought I was the only one!) we are a little hungover but on our way to the track. One guy last night kept going on about how proud he was of Ashley Force, hell I thought he was her father at one point! Mind you everyone is proud of her if you follow NHRA on a regular basis and watch the program Driving Force. Oh well another round please waitress.They sure pour good rum and cokes in this part of the world , let me tell you!
Anyway after checking the NHRA.com website in out hotel lobby's free computer access we see that NHRA is running on two qualifying sessions today so we are excited to get there. And the weather looks good for racing. Cool and overcast, perfect race conditions for record setting runs! I think this guy breathed too many Nitro fumes in his day, or was he at the bar last night with us? Actually it was in Max Naylor's souvenir trailer. The first pro qualifying sessions went pretty well without a hitch and the day looked good for racing. Bob Panella's Pro Stocker was done in a Sox Martin Tribute them, pretty cool! I love the old paint schemes and nostalgia cars cause they are the founders and pioneers of the sport.
Anyway I took about a million pictures of the races which I will post some on my geocities website this week as I have finally figured out how my camera works! And I took some sweet photos. Like this one of Kurt Johnson doing a burnout.


The Alcohol cars got one qualifying session in as well but all the rest of the sportsman categories were out of luck as the weather started to rain again before round 2 of qualifying could get started. The day was rained out after that point and NHRA will run Sunday after one round of qualifying instead of four so we are off to more shopping and get some more pics. Like the ones with me and John Evanchuck's top alcohol funny car. He is from Edmonton and we have seen this car race in Calgary and at car shows on display but haven't seen him run in the big show yet. He is a heavy hitter in the class along with Roger Bateman pictured below in the Nobile smile.com car who hasn't retired yet. We also took time out to sign the memorial banner to Eric Medlen who passed away earlier this year in a testing accident. Oh well the day is done so we are on our way home and back to the bar for some more dinner, for some more of those 50/50 free pour drink systems they have here.
We met some more crazy Nitro Methane addicts in there and everyone is upset the weather isn't cooperating as well as could be, but oh well can't change the weather! On our way out of the bar we met a couple who were feeling no pain as was I and we proceeded to explain about the rock my wife has in her lanyard! HAHAA oh yes the infamous rock my wife cherishes so much and so do I actually, didn't tell her that I lost it 3 times on the weekend but found it every time by my feet.


The Infamous rock Story:
Well not much too tell other than we like to sit behind the starting line on Sunday's races and one year I think in 2000 or something my wife was hit by a flying rock from one of the car"s burnouts! we thought cool! A piece of the track just hit me I think I'll keep it so we did. A piece of history and fun plus the fact my wife's arms were covered in little pieces of rubber and teraction compound combined with being hit by a piece of the track makes for some interesting conversations at the track or the bar!

No comments: